Please note that Made by Jack’s Mum has rebranded to Waves and Wild. I’m reviewing the MBJM version of this pattern, but as this is no longer available to purchase, I have linked to the Waves and Wild version at the bottom.
With it being Valentine’s Day, I wanted to make Mr Nerdy Sewist a gift he would never forget. Enter the Made By Jack’s Mum Superhero Boxers Pattern. I had some lovely bee fabric going spare, and who doesn’t want a host of swarming bees near their crotch? Well, as it turns out, Mr Nerdy Sewist doesn’t. But anyway. It gave me the material for a blog post didn’t it…
What I Loved
- The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. A photo guide is included for each step.
- Layers are available for the PDF file so you only need to print your size.
- There are two length options – long and short
- There are three different fly options
- There isn’t a seam at the back – this should make them more comfortable to wear
- The waistband can be made with either a jersey band or elastic
- The MBJM Speedy Pants pattern comes free with the Superhero Boxers.
- It’s suitable for beginners and those new to learning to sew with knit fabrics.
What Wasn’t So Great
- The Made By Jack’s Mum patterns always take me a while to cut out – they’re not trimless like many other PDF pattern companies. This one isn’t too bad as there are only 8 A4 pages to print.
- If you’re not doing the elasticated waist, make sure you use cotton lycra for the waistband and not ribbing unless you want them to fall down.
- Nobody wants bees near their crotch.
The Made By Jack’s Mum Superhero Boxers are amazing. They don’t take long to make and they’re ideal for last minute Valentine’s gifts… Plus, as they don’t require much fabric (half a metre for all versions) they’re ideal for making use of scraps. I’m unable to review how comfortable they are as Mr Nerdy Sewist won’t try them on – but I’ll update this post if he does.
The Made By Jack’s Mum Superhero Boxers require a four way stretch jersey – I’d recommend one with a high cotton percentage. You’ll also need waistband elastic if you opt for the elastic waist option. The PDF version can be purchased from the Waves and Wild website for AUD $12.00. The sizes run from XXS to 5XL and you’ll also receive the kids Speedy Pants pattern for free when you purchase.