Gah it seems like forever since I last updated this blog. I have been sewing items for my Etsy store and kids, but we’ve had virus after virus in this house since August so it’s been hard to find time for things like writing. One of the latest patterns that I’ve tried out is the Brindille and Twig Crew Neck Sweatshirt. I wanted something with better sizing options than the Waves and Wild Hot Chocolate which seems to be massive after age 2 (at least on my daughter), and thought this could be a good choice. Turns out it was, and it’s now my most used jumper pattern for my three year old.
What I Loved
- The PDF pattern is seamless and really easy to stick together. It also comes with layers so you only need to print the size you need.
- Step by step instructions come with the pattern making it really easy to understand. Brindille and Twig also include a guide in all of their patterns for new sewists explaining what all the different sewing terms mean, which is really useful.
- The pattern is really simple to sew, as you would expect from a standard jumper. I’ve found that the neck band in particular looks gorgeous on this design.
- The sizing is fantastic and true to the measurement table.
- Sizes 0-3 months to 3-4 years only require half a metre of fabric, while 4-5 and 5-6 years require 0.75 metres. This makes it a great pattern for scrap busting when making the smaller sizes.
- It’s just such a lovely pattern I can’t recommend it highly enough.
What Wasn’t So Great
- Like some of the other Brindille and Twig patterns I’ve reviewed, the only negative is that this pattern only goes up to age 5-6. They do have an older kids range on their website but it’s short on designs at the moment. Hopefully they will update it one day.
I love the Brindille and Twig Crew Neck Sweatshirt pattern. It’s a lovely unisex design and the sizing is spot on for both of my children (currently in 3-4 years and 12-18 months). On top of this, it’s a really simple sew. Due to the lack of hems (cuffs are used for the wrists and waistband), it can be fully sewn on an overlocker in around 30 minutes.
The Brindille and Twig Crew Neck Sweatshirt pattern can be made from any knit fabric including jersey, french terry and fleece. Ribbing is advised for the neckband and cuffs, but sewers with experience could also get away with using jersey (it’s just slightly harder to stretch). The PDF can be purchased from the Brindille and Twig website for £7 and is available in sizes 0-3 months to 5-6 years.