I’ve been looking for a new shorts pattern for my daughter after the sizing on the Waves and Wild Four Seasons went a bit wonky after ‘age 2’. I’m a huge fan of Brindille and Twig so when I saw their cuff shorts pattern, I knew I had to give it a go. And, let me just say, I love them! I made the ‘age 4’ size for my daughter, and since making the pair pictured here, I’ve made at least five more pairs. They’re ideal for summer daytime wear, and work well in short pyjamas too. Keep reading to find out just why they’re so amazing.
What I Loved
- The PDF pattern is seamless and really easy to stick together. It also comes with layers so you only need to print the size you need.
- Step by step instructions come with the pattern making it really easy to understand. Brindille and Twig also include a guide in all of their patterns for new sewists explaining what all the different sewing terms mean, which is really useful.
- This pattern is so incredibly simple to sew that even someone who has never used a sewing machine could end up with an amazing garment. There are six seams in total (if my maths is correct).
- The sizing is fantastic and true to the measurement table.
- Sizes 0-3 months to 9-12 months only require quarter a metre of fabric, while all the remaining sizes only require half a metre. This makes it a great pattern for scrap busting. I was able to get a pair of shorts and the B&T Flutter Tee (minus the flutters) out of half a metre of fabric in age 4.
- The pattern works great for both day and night wear. It’s sure to be a staple in my summer sews for years to come.
What Wasn’t So Great
- The only negative is that this pattern only goes up to age 5-6. I’d love to see it in bigger sizes.
The Brindille & Twig Cuff Shorts is currently my favourite knit shorts pattern for kids. It’s an incredibly fast and easy sew and my daughter says they’re super comfortable as well. I personally also really like the length of these as most high street stores only stock really short shorts for girls and, well, that’s just not practical for those who love playing outside.
The Cuff Shorts can be made in sizes 0-3 months to 5-6 years and require any kind of knit fabric. I used cotton lycra in all of the pairs I’ve made so far, and used the same fabric for the cuffs and waistband. The PDF version of the Brindille & Twig Cuff Shorts can be purchased from their website for $7.50.