Please note that Made by Jack’s Mum has rebranded to Waves and Wild. I’m reviewing the MBJM version of this pattern, but as this is no longer available to purchase, I have linked to the Waves and Wild version at the bottom.
The Made By Jack’s Mum Hot Chocolate is a fantastically simple pattern that enables you to make a number of different items. While I’ve made a hoodie for this review, you can also make a traditional sweatshirt or a sweater with a cowl neck using the same pattern. AND, there’s also the option to make a sweatshirt dress.
What I Loved
- The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. A photo guide is included for each step.
- Layers are available for the PDF file so you only need to print your size.
- Numerous options are available in one pattern including a hooded top, a traditional sweatshirt, a cowl neck, and the option to make a sweatshirt dress – with a hood/cowl/traditional neckline. There are also two different pocket options – a kanga pocket and patch pockets.
- There’s also an adult version of this pattern – the Hot Coffee. This is available for both men and women, and enables you to make matching outfits if this is what you’re into (not gonna lie, I am).
- It’s suitable for confident beginners and those new to learning to sew with knits. You can leave out things like the pockets if you want to make it as simple as possible.
- Can be made with both sweatshirt/French Terry fabric and cotton jersey, making it a pattern that is suitable for all temperatures.
What Wasn’t So Great
- The Made By Jack’s Mum patterns always take me a while to cut out – they’re not seamless like many other PDF pattern companies.
- There aren’t any instructions included within the pattern for making a hood out of directional fabric.
- If you want to make a hoodie with directional fabric, I highly recommend watching this YouTube video which was created by the pattern designer and shows you how to do it.
- I often make the bottom band slightly wider than the pattern asks for – this is purely a personal decision but it’s much comfier (in the adult sizes anyway).
The Made By Jack’s Mum Hot Chocolate is a great basic hoodie pattern that is ideal for beginners. The instructions are really easy to follow, and the end result is pretty good! I plan to make my daughter at least one of these in each age group as she grows.
The Made By Jack’s Mum Hot Chocolate requires a medium weight stretch fabric such as sweatshirt or French Terry (although you can also use cotton jersey or other lighter weight stretch fabrics for a looser fit). The cuffs and bottom band can be made with the same fabric as the main top or with ribbing (which is easier to attach). The PDF version can be purchased from the Waves and Wild website for AUD $12.00. It is available in sizes premature/newborn to age 12.