I’ve been trying out a few bummie and shorts patterns over the last week – partly because I want to start making Ember some summer clothes, but also because I’m thinking about adding some summer sets to my Etsy store. The Oh Me Oh My Sewing Bummie Shorts was the first pattern I tried. This pattern comes with two different waistband options and is available in sizes 0-3 months to 5-6 years. I made the version with the foldover jersey waistband for this review.
What I Loved
- The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. A photo guide is included for each step.
- A Begginer’s Guide is also included which helps explain some of the main sewing terms, and shows you how to print and cut your pattern.
- All options only require half a yard of fabric, making them ideal for using up scraps.
- There are two different bummies options – one with a jersey waistband, and one with an elastic waistband.
- The pattern is perfectly suited to beginners.
- If you purchase the pattern and find it too hard or realise it’s not what you wanted, you can contact Oh Me Oh My Sewing for a full refund.
What Wasn’t So Great
- Layers aren’t available on this pattern, which means you need to print out every size.
- The pattern isn’t trimless so it takes a while to stick together (not that there are many pages included with this pattern).
- I’m not a fan of the jersey waistband – it uses way more fabric than should be required, although I do admit it looks good when finished.
The Oh Me Oh My Sewing Bummie Shorts pattern is ideal for the summer. Although I’m not a fan of the foldover waistband, it does look good when complete and Ember will definitely be wearing at least one pair of these this summer. The pattern is ideally suited to beginners too. I would love to know how people make these quickly, though – these took me about an hour from cut to finish.
The Oh Me Oh My Sewing Bummie Shorts require a medium weight knit fabric, such as jersey, and elastic if you’re doing the elasticated waist. The PDF can be purchased from the Oh Me Oh My Sewing website for $6.50. It is available in sizes 0-3 months to 5-6 years.