Please note that Made by Jack’s Mum has rebranded to Waves and Wild. I’m reviewing the MBJM version of this pattern, but as this is no longer available to purchase, I have linked to the Waves and Wild version at the bottom.
The Made By Jack’s Mum Beach Bummies pattern was the second bummie pattern I tried last week. This one also comes with both elastic and jersey waist options, and you can also choose between elastic and jersey leg cuffs. Adding even more options to the pattern, there are both slim fit and relaxed fit options included with the MBJM Beach Bummies, and there’s a separate cloth nappy pattern with sizes from newborn to age 4. I made the relaxed fit, disposable nappy option with a jersey waistband and jersey cuffs for this review.
What I Loved
- The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. A photo guide is included for each step.
- Layers are available in the PDF file so you only need to print your size. A printing chart is also included so you only need to print the parts of the pattern that match the options you’ve chosen.
- Up to ‘Age 4’ you only need half a metre of fabric, making them ideal for sewing with scraps.
- There are lots of options included in this pattern – and there’s an option for babies and toddlers wearing cloth nappies.
- The pattern comes with a skirt too!
- I have been told this pattern can be made up in as little as ten minutes (if doing the jersey cuffs option). It took me a lot longer than that – although less time than the Oh Me Oh My Sewing pattern – but it’s good to know it’s possible.
What Wasn’t So Great
- The pattern isn’t trimless so it takes a while to stick together (not that there are many pages included with this pattern).
The Made By Jack’s Mum Beach Bummies pattern was an easier sew than the Oh Me Oh My Sewing Bummie Shorts pattern, and it uses less fabric too. While I do like the pattern, I do think it’s probably best suited to days on the beach than general summer wear. That said, it’s an ideal first pattern for beginners and was relatively easy to put together.
The Made By Jack’s Mum Beach Bummies pattern requires a light or medium weight knit fabric, such as jersey, and elastic if you’re doing the elasticated waist/leg cuffs. The PDF can be purchased from the Waves and Wild website for AUD $12.00. It is available in sizes newborn to Age 12.