The Waves and Wild Harem Pants pattern is super cute and super easy to make. They’re slim fitting in design, yet come with a dropped crotch which makes them both trendy, and especially suited to babies and toddlers in cloth nappies. With very few pattern pieces involved, they’re ideally suited to beginners as well. For this review, I made a pair in the newborn size using some gorgeous rainbow French Terry from Jelly Fabrics.
What I Loved
- The new Waves and Wild patterns are trimless and very easy to put together.
- The instructions are really clear and easy to follow. A diagram is included for each step.
- Layers are available in the PDF file so you only need to print your size. A size chart is also included to help you determine this.
- The Waves and Wild version of this pattern comes with a print at home copy, an A0 copy for copy-shop printing, and a projector pattern.
- The pattern comes with options to make either full length harems or shorts. There’s also the option to add knee patches, which is ideal for babies that have started crawling.
- The newborn size looked really cute when complete. I definitely think I’ll be making more of these for my baby.
What Wasn’t So Great
- Nothing, it’s a great pattern.
- Adding cuffs to the newborn size of these was pretty tricky. I used French Terry for these which probably wasn’t the best idea. Ribbing would make it easier. Alternatively, you could add the cuffs prior to sewing up the inner leg seem.
The Waves and Wild Harem Pants pattern is ideal for those who want to make baby clothes quickly. There are very few pattern pieces and seams, and I’m sure a pair of these could be cut up and sewn in as little as 20 minutes. Because of how easy they are to make, it’s the ideal pattern for beginners. I’m also thinking of making some of these up for my Etsy shop – they’d be a lot quicker than the overalls!
The Waves and Wild Harem Pants pattern advises using a light weight stretch fabric, although the French Terry I used worked fine. The PDF can be purchased from the Waves and Wild website for AUD $12.00 and is available in sizes premature to age 12.