Please note that Made by Jack’s Mum has rebranded to Waves and Wild. I’m reviewing the MBJM version of this pattern, but as this is no longer available to purchase, I have linked to the Waves and Wild version at the bottom.
The Made by Jack’s Mum Beachcomber is a lovely pattern, and really simple to sew. The short sleeved version is ideal for days at the beach, or playing in the garden, while the long sleeved version can be worn all year round. Oh, and there’s also the option to make a t-shirt or tunic! I made the most simple dress version of the pattern with the hidden neckband for this review; however, you can also add pockets and some amazing colour blocking if you want as well.
What I Loved
- The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. A photo guide is included for each step. It’s 100% suitable for beginners.
- Layers are available in the PDF file so you only need to print your size. A size chart is also included to help you determine this.
- The dolman sleeve style in this pattern is so much easier to cut and sew than the traditional sleeve. You can choose between short, three quarter length and long sleeves.
- You can either make an outfit with a traditional neckband or a hidden neckband.
- You can make a dress, a tunic or a t-shirt.
- The colour blocked version is ideal for using up scraps.
- It’s incredibly simple to sew, making it the perfect choice of pattern for beginners.
- There’s a matching adult’s version of this pattern if you want to match with your little ones.
- If you purchase the updated Waves and Wild pattern, you’ll receive a projector copy.
What Wasn’t So Great
- The MBJM patterns aren’t trimless so they take a while to stick together. That said, if you purchase the updated Waves and Wild version, the pattern has been updated to eliminate a lot of this pain.
- Hemming the short sleeved arms on age 2-3 was easy enough. However, I’ve also made these in smaller sizes and found it quite difficult, especially under the arm.
The Made By Jack’s Mum Child’s Beachcomber pattern is super simple to make and looks really good when finished too. I love the fact that you can add a hidden neckband as this saves time on searching for a matching ribbing – and it looks really effective when done too. So far, I’ve only made this pattern with short sleeves, but I think I’m going to make Ember a long sleeved version for Halloween with some gorgeous spider fabric I have. I’d definitely recommend it to beginner and experienced sewists alike.
The Made By Jack’s Mum Beachcomber pattern requires a light to medium weight knit fabric with a good drape. You can use jersey for the whole make, or use ribbing if you want to make the traditional neckband. The PDF can be purchased from the Waves and Wild website for AUD $12.00. It’s available in size Premature/Small Newborn to age 12.