The Waves and Wild Speedy Pants pattern is a great choice if you want to make your littles some pants. The pattern comes in two different styles – briefs and boxers – both of which are unisex. Even better, it’s completely free. For this review, I made a pair of each style in age 3 using bands as opposed to elastic. Read on to see my thoughts.
What I Loved
- The new Waves and Wild patterns are trimless and very easy to put together.
- The instructions are really clear and easy to follow. A diagram is included for each step.
- Layers are available in the PDF file so you only need to print your size. A size chart is also included to help you determine this.
- The Waves and Wild version of this pattern comes with a print at home copy, an A0 copy for copy-shop printing, and a projector pattern.
- The pattern comes with in two different styles – boxers and briefs.
- Both patterns can be made with either bands or underwear elastic.
- While an overlocker creates a professional finish, this pattern can be made using just a sewing machine.
- They’re ideal for using up scraps.
- Waves and Wild also sell adult versions of these patterns – the Wonder Undies for women and the Superhero Boxers for men.
- It’s completely free.
What Wasn’t So Great
- Sewing the gusset onto the smaller sizes of briefs is a bit fiddly but this isn’t really a negative – it’d be fiddly on other patterns too.
While I didn’t find either style of the Speedy Pants pattern all that speedy to make, I do still love them and plan to use this pattern to kit my daughter out. I love that both patterns can be made with scraps of fabric, and based on how comfortable the Wonder Undies are, I’m expecting these to be comfy too. I also love that the patterns are unisex – being able to make the boxer style in “traditionally girly” fabric is great!
The Waves and Wild Speedy Pants pattern advises using a four way stretch jersey to make. You can use jersey for the bands style, or alternatively you’ll also need to purchase underwear elastic. The PDF can be downloaded from the Waves and Wild website for free and is available in sizes 6-12 months to age 12.